Friday, May 25, 2012

Education = Always Learning



Last week Certiport, the company I work for, announced that we were acquired by Pearson VUE, the computer-based testing arm of Pearson, the world’s leading education company. No, I did not lose my job through this acquisition. In fact, no Certiport employee was terminated in this acquisition. We were all considered “a great addition to the Pearson family” according to the CEO of Pearson VUE. I’ve spent this last week learning more about the company and can definitely say, “I’m a proud new addition to the Pearson family.”


Pearson’s slogan is “Always Learning” and I absolutely love it. Why? Because I passionately believe in the value of education and that education should never end. Of course formal education should come to an end [Seriously, friends, graduate from college already :) ], but we should constantly strive to learn something new and develop our skills. I also love Pearson’s slogan because they LIVE it. They provide multiple opportunities for education and learning for their employees and employees families. Yay!

This acquisition has also made me think back about how the value of education was instilled in me from a young age. My parents always encouraged my siblings and I to excel at school. They would read with us, help us with our math, assist us in paying tuition, and stay up late into the night with us finishing a project. I value so much now the time they spent with me instilling the value of education. I’m sure it is something I will carry with me and promote throughout my life, especially with my own children. And, I’m so glad to know Chad’s parents did the same for him in teaching the value of education.


Now, as much as a swore to myself that I would NEVER be a teacher, I find myself deeply entrenched in the education industry—and I’m very happy with it! Teachers, continue on with your quest to instill a love of learning within your students. You have a special gift and I’m proud to support you, even though I couldn’t do your job. I’ll continue doing my job, support worthy education causes like The Perpetual Education Fund (http://pef.lds.org/), and continue “Always Learning.”

No comments:

Post a Comment